University of Southern California
PROVOST SPEECH INFORMATION
This form must be completed at least three (3) weeks prior to the speaking engagement. We cannot guarantee the provost's speaking commitment if this form is not received by that date.
EVENT HOST / SCHOOL
AUDIENCE (description & # of anticipated attendees)
What kind of speech?
3-5 Minute Welcome
2-3 Minute Guest Introduction
15-20 Minute "State of the University" Address
5-8 Minute Chair Installation
If you selected Other, please describe
Describe the nature of the event and the provost's role
What is the goal/purpose of the speech (AND what is different about the provost's speech than what others will speak about)?
Please list any individuals who should be highlighted or introduced. We also require BIOS (specific to your organization – not just the Wikipedia page) for these individuals be sent to email@example.com.
Please give 5-10 SPECIFIC talking points that will help the provost give the best speech possible for the audience.
These are NOT acceptable specific talking points:
• Talk about USC as a leader in digital media
• Discuss the interdisciplinary nature of program
• Welcome alumni and encourage their support
• Discuss USC’s vision and goals for the future
• USC students take active roles in our local community, including volunteering and internships
• Talk about the Campaign for USC / Strategic Vision / Trojan Family / core values
• The Omaha Trojan Alliance is a unique group of committed students, alumni and friends who know how to harness the power of the Trojan Family to ensure that our university remains among the very best in the world.
• Discuss transformative research
These ARE acceptable specific talking points:
• An online catalog of nearly 4,000 career-related videos is live on the Career Center website. In addition, over 60 of these are custom and highlight the career experiences of USC alumni.
• While USC is ahead of the curve in online education – 75 degree programs at the moment - we can still improve. One of our next steps is to make an ambitious push to unify our entire online presence under the USCNow banner, which extends beyond our for-credit offerings.
• This year’s incoming cohort of postdocs in the humanities (3rd ever) is comprised of 6 scholars from more than 750 applicants across 14 fields.
• Dr. Shiong is one of the most prominent surgical researchers in the world, holding over 50 US patents. He developed and sold two multi-billion dollar pharmaceutical companies and invented the nation’s first FDA approved protein nanoparticle delivery technology for the treatment of breast cancer. This drug, Abraxane, is currently in clinical trials.
• Commend commitment to endowed scholarships – 15 freshmen every fall receive $10,000 per year for four years of study at USC, one Associates Trustee scholar receives full tuition, and one 1st-year medical student receives support.
Do Not Fill This Out